From: Bertolt Mildner (Bertolt.Mildner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-05-28 04:09:42

"Brian Ravnsgaard Riis" <brian_at_[hidden]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Bertolt Mildner wrote:
> > $PROGRAM_FILES$ is what ever path your system tells you when asked with
the
> > right Win32 API call?
> > (On my german system that would be C:\Programme)
>
> Unfortunately, this will mean "C:\Program Files" by default on English
> systems; paths with spaces should IMHO definitely be avoided. Other
> localized versions of Windows may have a similar problem.

yes, spaces used to make problems, but that should have gone!?

Which (widely used) tools on Win32 still have problems with spaces?

> > Even for libraries this is IMHO the only "right" location to install
too
> > per default.
>
> Disagree. %PROGRAMFILES% is intended for program files. There is no
> "correct" location for development files on Windows. Myself, I have a
> "C:\src" directory where all development takes place. (I agree with you
> otherwise: Littering the root with directories is Not Nice.)

As there is no common place for libraries (incl. header, static link libs)
the next best IMHO thing is %PROGRAMFILES%.

What options do we have:

- new dir in root: Not a option, imagine everyone would do that!

- system directory (\Windows, \WinNT, ...): That's a BIG NO-NO!

- "documents and settings" (\Dokumente und Einstellungen in german):
Settings does not fit, documents could fit somehow but typically only
documents one creates himself should go there.

- %PROGRAMFILES%: That is all what is left, and it is the typical place to
install to!

Bertolt