From: Julio M. Merino Vidal (jmmv84_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-18 14:34:33

On Sat, 2005-06-18 at 14:55 -0400, Caleb Epstein wrote:
> On 6/18/05, Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
> > The problem is that, as a packager, I need to know which files are being
> > created. And to make things simple, they should be the same on all OSes
> > supported by the packaging system I'm working on (pkgsrc).
>
> I don't think thats a reasonable expectation, particularly when
> dealing with system-specific entities like shared libraries. For
> example, on OSX the suffix for shared libraries is "dylib", not "so".
> On Cygwin (which behaves an awful lot like most *NIXes), you'll have
> "lib" *and* "dll" files.

Hmm well... the packaging system (pkgsrc) already handles this
internally. Basically, all I need to do is list which files will be
installed using their .so names (and .a), and it will take care to DTRT
on other systems (change them to dylib's where appropriate, etc.).

The problem arises when the library _name_ changes, as it won't be able
to find the files listed in the package. This is annoying at the very
least, and makes the package a nightmare to maintain: it often causes
regressions on some of the supported platforms (as I don't have the
resources to try them all, for example).

So... as --layout=system already removes the toolset string from the
library names (among several other things), why doesn't it remove -mt
and similar suffixes too?)

--
Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84_at_[hidden]>
http://www.livejournal.com/users/jmmv/