From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-06-30 21:46:19

From: Tobias Schwinger <tschwinger_at_[hidden]>
> Rob Stewart wrote:
> > From: Tobias Schwinger <tschwinger_at_[hidden]>
> >
> >> Aspect tags can be used to query one particular aspect of the type's kind.
> >
> > Hmmm. I think we can do better. Try this:
> >
> > Aspect tags can be used to determine whether a type's kind
> > includes a particular aspect.
> >
> The problem with this is: "wether the type's kind includes a particular aspect" is
> a tautology. The type's kind always includes all aspects there are -- we are

You understand the relationship among these things better than
I. The sentence made sense to me because it was saying you use a
tag to check for an aspect in a kind.

> asking for the variation of one particular aspect:

I see what you mean now.

> Aspect tags can be used to determine whether one aspect of the type's kind
> matches a particular variation.

Really? That doesn't make sense to me. I'm getting lost in the
terminology now. An "aspect tag" sounds like something that
would query for or specify--depending upon whether querying or
synthesizing a type--an aspect. Your sentence says you use an
"aspect tag" to look for a "variation."

Yes, I know a variation is one of several in a set that describe
the things that comprise an aspect (unless I really have things
wrong now!), but it still gets confusing.

OK, if I have the semantics correct, how does this sound?

   Aspect tags can be used to determine whether one variation--or
   a set of variations--of an aspect is included in a type's kind.