From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-05 14:09:23

Andrey Melnikov <melnikov_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:

>>>If there are a significant number of advanced users who, like myself, only
>>>use the header-only libraries, it would mean that there would be an overall
>>>saving of bandwidth.
>>

>> Bandwidth is hardly as valuable as volunteer time, IMO.
>
> I think that splitting Boost in boost-hdronly and boost-libs will
> help a lot.

Help with what?

> There are a lot of thread or filesystem abstraction layers. But such
> unique libs like boost.lambda and MPL are header only, and can be
> used very easily without building bjam etc.

Almost nobody needs to build bjam, since we provide prebuilt
executables.

Also, you can use those libraries very easily from a full package
without building bjam.

> It would be nice to have a separate package.

Undoubtedly it would be nice. Are you volunteering to prepare and
maintain it? Would you include or exclude documentation? What about
tests? What about examples?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting