From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-07 10:30:40

"Rob Stewart" <stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> From: Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
>>
>> Rather than try to reply individually, I've tried to roll everyone's
>> comments and suggestions into a modified home page and a new "background"
>> page (for managers).
>>
>> See http://www.esva.net/~beman/boost-home/index.htm
>>
>> and http://www.esva.net/~beman/boost-home/more/background.html
>>
>> Comments? Is this heading in the right direction?
>
> Much of the background.html information should be on the home
> page and much of the index.htm information should be on a
> different page. My point is that the home page should sell Boost
> to visitors. They don't need all of the background.html
> information at once, but you have to hook them.

My first try had the marketing stuff on the home page, and people didn't
like that. I was already a little uncomfortable myself, for the same reasons
mentioned by others.

I'm much more comfortable with the "Background" stuff on a separate page. It
is programmers we want to launch into the Boost orbit, and programmers are
less likely to be interested in the "Background" stuff until they absorb the
technical stuff. Managers will follow in due time.

It is also pretty clear from the reactions that others also like the
separate "Background" page better.

Thanks,

--Beman