From: Rob Stewart (stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-07 14:54:51

From: "Beman Dawes" <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
> "Rob Stewart" <stewart_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> > From: Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]>
> >>
> >> Rather than try to reply individually, I've tried to roll everyone's
> >> comments and suggestions into a modified home page and a new "background"
> >> page (for managers).
> >>
> >> See http://www.esva.net/~beman/boost-home/index.htm
> >>
> >> and http://www.esva.net/~beman/boost-home/more/background.html
> >>
> >> Comments? Is this heading in the right direction?
> >
> > Much of the background.html information should be on the home
> > page and much of the index.htm information should be on a
> > different page. My point is that the home page should sell Boost
> > to visitors. They don't need all of the background.html
> > information at once, but you have to hook them.
>
> My first try had the marketing stuff on the home page, and people didn't
> like that. I was already a little uncomfortable myself, for the same reasons
> mentioned by others.
>
> I'm much more comfortable with the "Background" stuff on a separate page. It
> is programmers we want to launch into the Boost orbit, and programmers are
> less likely to be interested in the "Background" stuff until they absorb the
> technical stuff. Managers will follow in due time.

I didn't say precisely what information should be moved between
the pages, but the mix isn't right. You're right that you don't
want the home page geared to managers, but note that I said you
need to sell to visitors of the site, not to managers. You have
to pick your primary target and sell to them.

Developers are the right primary target, but a long-winded "news"
section won't sell Boost to them. Information about why they
should use Boost libraries, which you have on the background.html
page, will do that. You can include rather technical details in
that, but the goal should be to make the home page sell Boost to
those developers.

Whatever is on the home page now that doesn't sell Boost should
be on other pages. There can even be a second home page, if you
will, that will be of interest to frequent visitors.

> It is also pretty clear from the reactions that others also like the
> separate "Background" page better.

I think you read too much into my suggestion and others may not
have considered my point yet.