From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-11 18:07:46

"Jonathan Turkanis" <technews_at_[hidden]> wrote

> I'm trying to pick good names for the fundamental iostreams components
> streambuf_facade and stream_facade:
>
> template<typename Device ... >
> class streambuf_facade : public basic_streambuf< > {
> // Peform i/o using an instance of Device
> };
>
> template<typename Device ... >
> class stream_facade : public basic_[i][o]stream< > {
> // Peform i/o using an instance of Device
> };
>
> Here are the candidates:
>
> 1. streambuf_facade / stream_facade
> 2. generic_streambuf / generic_stream
> 3. streambuf / stream
> 4. xstreambuf / xstream

I don't like any of those. I don't think they tell much about what they
name. OTOH, I may lack some background. I don't even understand what
rationale for such a name as xstreambuf/xstream is :-(

> 5. device_streambuf / device_stream
> 6. devbuf / devstream

These both are much better, IMO. Being a minimalist, I would probably
prefer number 6.

Regards,
Arkadiy