From: Jonathan Turkanis (technews_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-12 16:08:11

Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
> "Jonathan Turkanis" wrote

>> Here are the candidates:
>>
>> 1. streambuf_facade / stream_facade
>> 2. generic_streambuf / generic_stream
>> 3. streambuf / stream
>> 4. xstreambuf / xstream
>
> I don't like any of those. I don't think they tell much about what
> they name. OTOH, I may lack some background. I don't even
> understand what rationale for such a name as xstreambuf/xstream is :-(

It was supposed to mean "extended."

>> 5. device_streambuf / device_stream
>> 6. devbuf / devstream
>
> These both are much better, IMO. Being a minimalist, I would probably
> prefer number 6.

Thanks.

Rob Stewart pointed out that dev is sometimes an abbreviation for "development"
or "developer."

The reason I'm not too excited about "device_streambuf" and "device_stream" is
that they're hard to pronounce without running the final consonant of "device"
into the initial consonant of "stream" or "streambuf."

> Regards,
> Arkadiy

Jonathan