From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-13 05:56:30

>> A lot of people will prefer anonymous web form over the need to
>> subscribe to a moderated mail list in order to report a bug or post
>> a suggestion.
>
> Well, that's a problem too. People often leave off their SF userid or
> other identifying information, so when we follow up to the tracker
> items we have no idea whether the reporter sees the reply.

That to me is a big issue: I've closed several issues because the submitter
was anonymous, and posted insufficient information to get even close to
reproducing their problem, and requests for more information went
unanswered. There was even a recent case of someone who posted the same
query *four times* even though there had been a reply to the first query he
posted. Presumably he expected the reply to reach him by magic :-O

Is it possible to insist that all posts to the tracker are from folks who
are logged on? The gcc bug tracker does that and it works very well IMO.

Throwing in my 2c worth yours,

John.