From: Jonathan Wakely (cow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-13 05:51:55

On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 03:13:07PM -0600, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:

> > The "x" was to convey "extended," not "eXperimental."

I kinda liked the 'x' versions, but not enough to express a preference.

> >> 5. device_streambuf / device_stream
> >
> > This is reasonably meaningful given the use of a Device and
> > serves to distinguish the names from those in std.
>
> They're hard to pronounce properly, though. I just realized that this is why I
> don't like them.

Yeah, it's too close to "dev ice cream" which is just silly :-)

> But speaking of "buf/stream," how about using "buf" and "stream"? E.g.,
>
> typedef stream<file> filestream;
> typedef buf<file> filebuf;
>
> typedef stream<array> arraystream;
> typedef buf<array> arraybuf;

Not only are these better than the other choices, I think these are
actually quite good names.

My only reservation is that a streambuf doesn't necessarily do any
buffering (that's true for std::streambufs, anyway, I assume it's the
case for yours as well), so taking the "buf" part of the name "streambuf"
emphasises the misleading part of the name, but that's not a big deal.

jon