From: Scott Schurr (scott_schurr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-26 14:32:42

Greetings,

I'm back from vacation. I have a note and a question regarding
the binary_int template.

 1. I've compiled the binary_int template with Microsoft Visual
    Studio.NET version 7.0. It gets unhappy when the most
    significant bit is set in a 32-bit binary word. The compiler
    reports:

      warning C4307: '*' : integral constant overflow

    along with a bunch of other stuff about the template
    instantiation. It seems to be only a warning however,
    since the executable is still produced and runs properly.

    I tried a couple of things in the enum definition to try
    and convince the compiler to use an unsigned int for the
    computation, but to no avail. I couldn't figure out a way
    to get rid of the warning.

 2. Pavel Vozenilek thinks that the names binary_nibble and
    binary_int could be improved on. Pavel suggests
    the names 'nibble' and 'bits', noting that the term 'binary'
    has too many connotations in C++.

    At any rate, what do folks think would be good names for
    these two templates?

Thanks.

Scott Schurr