From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-07-27 13:01:32

Cromwell Enage <sponage_at_[hidden]> writes:

> --- David Abrahams wrote:
>> > How does it fit in "containers?"
>
> Implementation-wise,

The implementation details are irrelevant to the user who wants to
find a library for a specific purpose, and anyway...

> the named-parameter mechanism is a type of container,

...not really. It bundles up references to the arguments, but it
doesn't contain them.

>> Oh, I see we do have "Function objects and
>> higher-order programming." Well, now. Looking at
>> "Miscellaneous" I think too many libraries are in
>> there. IMO a library should only go in that
> category
>> if it doesn't fit anywhere else. Thoughts?
>
> If you want to make a new category, I'd go for
> "Patterns and Idioms".
> Boost.Parameter can be
> described as a mechanism that encapsulates the
> named-parameter idiom
> <http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/ctors.html#faq-10.18>
> as well as the unnamed-parameter idiom (wherever
> that's described). The Singleton library, if and when
> it's accepted, can also fit in this category.

Maybe. It seems awfully general to me. Why group patterns and idioms
together?

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting