From: Peter Simons (simons_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-09 06:37:44

Beth Jacobson writes:

>> Unfortunately, the page doesn't behave very
>> well when you display it in a small browser window.

> I was going to wait and see what the consensus was on the
> menu size, but this seems like a deal breaker, so I've
> shrunk them back down.

The problem is not the size of the menu, it is the fact that
the page doesn't _scale_. I haven't looked at the HTML
source code, but apparently the page requires a certain
window width, and if the window doesn't have that, text will
be missing. In my case, half the navigation is invisible in
favor of about 2 centimeters of white space on the left
margin. I really don't think that's optimal.

>> When you display the page with lynx(1), the new version
>> has the navigation coming _after_ the text, at the
>> bottom of the page (which is bad) [...].

> I assume [the smaller fonts] will fix it.

No, they haven't. The problem is that the menu is on the
_right_ hand-side now, a text-based browser will display the
left column before the right, hence the navigation ends up
being the last thing on the page. Which is not optimal.

Peter