From: Caleb Epstein (caleb.epstein_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-10 19:38:44

On 8/10/05, Jose <jmalv04_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> See my previous response.
> I think a well thought out boost scheduler/multiplexor module is needed.

The asio library really looks quite nice. It appears simple to use,
is 100% header-based, doesn't require the use of threads, and uses the
most scalable event demultiplexor supplied by the OS (epoll on Linux
in the 0.3x version and IOCP on Windows). Its a very nice little
library! Thanks for linking to it. I think I'm in love :-)

That it doesn't use Boost.Threads itself should not be considered a
strike against it. Nothing prevents its use in applications using
Boost.Threads, as the asio maintainer stated in his earlier reply.

> I would just focus on async network io in linux (preferably using
> epoll). Networking is one area where boost should probably have
> separate platform solutions so that best performance and elegance are
> not compromised.
>
> On top of that, having an acceptor and connector implementation with
> basic http examples would go a long way towards advancing in the right
> direction.

What do you consider "the right direction"? Aside from the lack of
higher-level examples, what do you think asio is lacking?

> If you plan to do this then I would gladly use it and provide
> feedback. I would wait first for more opinions. I am coming from the
> newbie boost user perspective that wants to build networking apps
> easily and doesn't need ACE.

ACE is indeed overkill for *just* networking, but it is battle-tested,
feature-rich, fast, and *very* portable. Like it or not, many of the
patterns implemented in ACE are must-haves once you have a nice
networking library and want to start writing more complex applications
(logging, threads, synchronization primitives, message queues, active
objects, etc.). Boost provides a number of these, but the sheer
breadth, depth, and maturity of ACE makes for a very compelling
library.

--
Caleb Epstein
caleb dot epstein at gmail dot com