From: Russell Hind (rh_gmane_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-08-24 04:18:05

Aleksey Gurtovoy wrote:

> I totally agree. But then technically _there was_ an almost two-week
> period during which the RC tarballs were readily available for
> download and tryout and yet obviously most of our users waited until
> the release was officially out to start looking at it. In that light,
> I'm afraid that just prolonging the RC period by itself is not going
> to be as effective as one might hope for. We need more publicity for
> the RC period, may be as much as for the actual release.

Two weeks isn't long for testing a new boost release in a commercial
project. It took us about a week just to get serialization-1.33.0
compiling in our project (using Borland C++Builder) which was already
working with boost-1.32.0

Using the rc/beta in production code is a good test, but we do need time
to test it. We also have other priorities at work such as meeting
deadlines which can span a two week period and so we could miss the RC
period altogether before we get a chance to test things.

Weekly zip files from when the branch is frozen may help with this (we
aren't in a habbit of trying to get out a CVS working copy for
production code) but I think at least a month of the freeze period with
weekly tar/zip files of the distro main enable more end-users to test
before the actual release.

Cheers

Russell