From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-02 14:36:29

"Schrom, Brian T" <brian.schrom_at_[hidden]> wrote in message
> I've been working on a charting library for a few weeks and am wondering
> whether their would be any interest in having a boost one. I'm not even
> sure that it makes sense for boost, as it seems a higher level library
> than most of libraries and also unrelated to other libraries.
>
> There would be many things to work out, like no graphics in Boost (that
> I'm aware of),

You mean no Graphical User Interface? Its true that this is sorely required in
C++. See the following.

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2005/n1781.pdf

I would guess that a chart library is relatively simple once a GUI is in place
but very difficult otherwise, however without seeing what you have done I'd
better not make judgements! It would certainly be interesting to see your ideas,
as they would be a concrete example application for any C++ GUI library which
helps to focus any design. Do you have means to deal with the fact that there
is currently no standard C++ GUI?. For example some sort of generic concepts or
requirements? IOW how are you laying out your design without a GUI framework to
fit it in?

regards
Andy Little