From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-21 07:17:28

Goran Mitrovic wrote:
> Joel de Guzman <joel <at> boost-consulting.com> writes:
>
>>FWIW, I'd vote my support for xpressive. I'd vote that it be
>>added to the boost libraries. The question some people ask is why
>>have an alternative library that overlaps over existing
>>libraries in boost (i.e. Boost.Regex and Spirit). I'd say
>>that we should always welcome alternative libraries. I do not
>

> Not really always. Don't you think that Boost can be (or even already is)
> overcrowded? I cannot really define this with words; it's a feeling that I get
> from its everyday use. And there is a lot of conformation of my feeling I see in
> my smalltalk with friends/coworkers.

Are you saying that we should not accept a library to avoid
over-crowding boost? Hmmm, doesn't sound right to me.

> P.S. I know this is not a very valuable comment, but, you guys seem to often
> think too much as a "boost let's-prove-c++-is-almighty developers", not "boost
> users". :|

I don't know how this comment is related in any way to the
topic. I can't seem to see the connection. Anyway..., I don't
think I ever gave the impression that I, as a boost developer,
am trying to prove that "c++-is-almighty". I'm very well aware
of C++'s weeknesses. This is in fact one of reasons why we're
here in the first place: to develop libraries to make C++ better.
A lot of the libraries here (e.g. lambda, variant, tuples) are
already available in other languages (e.g. Haskell, ML, Lisp).
C++ is not almighty superior. In fact, in many cases, we're
catching up. So, I'm going to dismiss that and strike it off
to see if your comment will make sense without the baseless
phrase. Let's see... "you guys seem to often think too much as a
'boost developers', not 'boost users'". Hmmmm... I give up. I'll
never understand why you think so unless you list the /whys/.
Is your impression in any way connected to your feeling that
Boost is getting over crowded and hence more unfriendly to the
Boost user?

Cheers,

--
Joel de Guzman