From: Jason Kankiewicz (jkankiewicz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-23 14:39:19

While I served in an English-speaking military organization, placing
someone on active guard duty was to "post" them and removing them from
active guard duty was to "relieve" them.

Now, if "dismiss" is the preferred term for deactivating a guard,
perhaps "summon" would be its more appropriate opposite?