From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-29 03:28:49

Brian Riis wrote
> I really don't think we want standard C++ to have a "builtin" GUI that
> "simply works" on all systems.

Sorry . have I misread this ?
A C++ GUI that "simply works" is exactly what I want. Its got to be simple for
beginning programmes to pick up, generic, have an intuitive model, and have a
non-platform dependent interface.

> That makes me think of the Java GUI,
> which works on all systems with a VM, but unfortunately looks like a
> Java app regardless.

The builtin GUI is a major reason for Java's Success. And notice that it works
on the internet where "platform" is not applicable. Personally I think the Java
model is well worth looking at for ideas about a C++ GUI.

 The Windows GUI behaves slightly different than
> GNOME, and there are quite large differences to OSX from either.

Thats interesting and useful stuff. Would it be possible to enumerate some of
the differences? Personally I would like to have a uniform behaviour of a C++
GUI across
platforms if possible.

> I don't think we want a GUI system where people will say, "Hey look at
> this app; it's obviously written in C++, judging by the UI!"

I think you are limiting the possibilities here. Maybe a C++ GUI should be 3D.
Maybe we should default to a round window. You cant have true platform
independence if by default you need to simulate a particular platforms look and
feel. IOW then you cant have one default interface. Being able to put
on a platform dependent skin is an often requested feature, but is trivial to
achieve IMO. The number one feature is simplicity and ease of use which means
platform independence... "simply works")

regards
Andy Little