From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-29 09:36:04

"Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]> wrote

> The builtin GUI is a major reason for Java's Success.

I think the major reason for Java's (commersial) success is that it has
_commersial_ forces behind it. As opposed to C++, that is mainly moved
forward by academics and enthusiasts.

If we were to make C++ commersially successfull, we would now be developing
threads, all kinds of networking, and database access, like crazy. But
since we are here mostly to have fun, gain an experience, write articles,
etc., we are busy with MPL and PP, lambdas and binders, parsers and regular
expressions, foreach and typeof, etc., etc., etc. Things that are cool, and
useful for language development, but hardly ever considered when somebody
has to decide in which language to implement a distributed concurrent
system.

(I hope nobody gets offended. The above libraries are provided for example
only, and without any hint to their relative importance)

As for GUI, the last time I saw a portable one, it sucked. Yes, I admit, it
was 5 years ago, and it was AWT, so maybe thins changed drammatically? Are
modern GUI libraries really able to produce _decent_ cross-platform GUI?

Regards,
Arkadiy