From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-29 09:57:06

Geoffrey Romer said:

>> > http://www.trolltech.com/products/qt/pricing.html
>> >

>> No doubt, TrollTech has to make the money they deserve some way. They
>> also give the stuff away to everybody that can accept GPL like terms.
>>
>> What I wonder is if anybody with contacts in the standard process and/or
>> to the compiler vendors have ever considered Vladimirs suggestion, and
>> approached the Trolls about it? Maybe there is a business case in that
>> for TrollTech. They could be the prime provider of a larger part of the
>> standard library to a number of compilers.
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting that TrollTech
> could somehow be persuaded to make Qt available for free under a
> Boost-like license, or are you suggesting that it would be acceptable
> to make Qt a C++ standard under its current licensing scheme?

No, neighter.

The challenge is really to define the syntax and semantics of a standard
library. If this is somehow based on TrollTech's experience and the API
of Qt, then TrollTech would find themselves in a strong position for
providing commercial licensed libraries to those standard library
providers selling commercially licensed C++ standard libraries. Also, the
standard committee would have a working implementation to build their
confidence in the design. That does not prevent anybody else from
implementing a competing solution which they may give away for free or
sell.

So, TrollTech would have to accept that the API spec are in the public
domain, hence it could be copied by anybody, even Bill Gates - for any
purpose. Whether they are interested in that is impossible to say, but an
approach from the standard committee would be taken seriously, I bet on
that anyway. Not only for the possible business, but also since I know
the Trolls wish for a strong future of the language they have committed
themselves to.

--
Bjørn