From: Andy Little (andy_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-09-29 15:38:23

"Felipe Magno de Almeida" wrote
> On 9/29/05, Joel Eidsath wrote:
>> Some reason that we don't just copy Java for a standad C++ GUI? Or is
>> there anyone who thinks they can improve on Swing?
>
> I dont know if they can improve. But I think _we_ can improve its
> design a lot with the power that C++ has that Java lacks. And, IMO,
> there are other concerns about GUI that Sun overlooked, like the GUI
> feel on various platforms. IMO, for Java applications to have the same
> feel running in different OS is something acceptable, since Java *is*
> a platform, but it isnt acceptable as requirement in C++.

On the contrary ...according to the Swing site
 "
The pluggable look and feel (...of Swing...) lets you design a single set of GUI
components that can automatically have the look and feel of any OS platform
(Microsoft Windows, SolarisTM, Macintosh)
"
Java users must have complained ;-)

Apparently this is achieved by Swing modularising each widget using Model -View-
Controller architecture. ( I presume the View is customised per platform)

regards
Andy Little