From: Arkadiy Vertleyb (vertleyb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-05 14:01:01

"Jose" <jmalv04_at_[hidden]> wrote

> On 10/5/05, Arkadiy Vertleyb <vertleyb_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> >
> > "Andreas Pokorny" <andreas.pokorny_at_[hidden]> wrote
> >
> > > On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 09:17:18AM -0400, Arkadiy Vertleyb
> > <vertleyb_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> > >
> > > The most important part for a library like that, is the ability to
have
> > > the table stored in a file, and only partially mapped into memory. So
> >
> > It's important, but I wouldn't say "most important". For many tasks
having
> > the ability to serialize tables should be enough.
>

> Serialize tables is nice and many memory-based apps can benefit but for
most
> databases persistence is a must.
>
> I agree with previous statement that persistence is the top priority. RML
> has tackled this
> with a separate persist library that provides the persistent STL
containers.
> Also shmem I think provides
> persistent stl containers using mmap files (persist library even has
> benchmarks comparing to mysql)

Well, RTL addresses (or delays) the issue of persistense by separating table
implementation from the rest of the library. We currently give the user a
choise between an std::vector - based implementation and Boost.Multi-index -
based implementation. A disk-based implementation can also be developed.

(alternatively, someone may comeup with a persistent std::vector :-)

Regards,
Arkadiy