From: Jose (jmalv04_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-05 14:33:09

On 10/5/05, Arkadiy Vertleyb <vertleyb_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Well, RTL addresses (or delays) the issue of persistense by separating
> table
> implementation from the rest of the library. We currently give the user a
> choise between an std::vector - based implementation and Boost.Multi-index-
> based implementation. A disk-based implementation can also be developed.
> (alternatively, someone may comeup with a persistent std::vector :-)

I need to learn more about RTL. I think the combination of RTL + RML is
definetely
needed as a boost library. At least myself can't wait for that library !

The question is who provides the persistent STL containers, maybe should be
the
Boost.Multi-Index as this is the higher level container.

There is a bit of overlap:

RTL --> uses Boost.Multi-Index - no persistent container
RML --> own multi-index container and own persistent container library via
mmap files
shmem --> persistent versions of STL containers like std::map (via mmap
files)
Boost.Multiindex --> no persistent version

I liked RML because is further along the idea of being a replacement for a
traditional database.

What I think the final library needs is:

- combine RTL and RML in a single syntax (as friendly as possible)
- use Boost.Multi-Index (assuming it provides a persistent container) or use
persist or shmem persistent container