From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-10-21 04:51:12

> error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __cdecl
> boost::re_detail::raise_runtime_error(class _STL::runtime_error const
> &)"
> (?raise_runtime_error_at_re_detail_at_boost@@YAXABVruntime_error@_STL@@@Z)

That can occur if you build the library with one set of options and use with
another.

> My environment:
> o Windows XP
> o Microsoft DevStudio - Visual C++ 6, Service pack 6
> o I am building my DLL, which will use boost::regex as (an
> additional) DLL o My build flags - Multithreaded dll (more info is
> avail if needed)
> o I am using stlport (which is located on my environment under
> '...\VC98\Include\stlport\...')
> o I include <boost/regex.hpp> and using 'boost::wregex',
> 'boost::wcmatch', 'boost::regex_search', etc
> o I added the next to 'user.hpp':
> #define BOOST_REGEX_NO_W32
> #define BOOST_REGEX_NO_LIB
> o I am adding boost library to my linking process with the next pragma
> statement:
> #ifdef _DEBUG
> #pragma comment(lib, "<...the path...>\\boost_regex-vc6-mt-gdp-1_33")
> #else
> #pragma comment(lib, "<...the path...>\\boost_regex-vc6-mt-p-1_33")
> #endif // _DEBUG
>
> boost::regex build:
> o I use BJame.exe to build boost
> o I call 'VCVars32.bat' before all
> o I set the next environment variables before calling BJam:
> * VISUALC=<..the path to 'VC98'...>
> * INCLUDE=%STLPORT_PATH%;%INCLUDE%
> o Build line:
> BJam.exe -a -sTOOLS=MSVC-STLPORT --with-regex
>
> ...after all this: the linker error (unresolved 'raise_runtime_error'
> as written above)

Toolset names are case sensitive, that should be -sTOOLS=msvc-stlport.

Also don't add STLport path to your INCLUDE variable, pass the right
STLPORT_PATH to bjam instead (check the docs on the msvc-stlport toolset for
more information and options: see the getting started docs).

If you do the above then regex will auto-link to the right libraries without
you having to specfy the names (which is error prone at best).

If you modify your boost/regex/user.hpp then make sure you do this *before*
you build the library.

HTH, John.