From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-02 17:55:48

"Bronek Kozicki" <brok_at_[hidden]> writes:

> Caleb Epstein <caleb.epstein_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> On 11/2/05, Bronek Kozicki <brok_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Apparently problem is wider and applies to other libraries as well. I
>>> just tried building whole boost 1.31.1 RC by hand on MSVC8:
>>> bjam.exe "-sTOOLS=vc-8_0" "-sBUILD=release debug
>>> <runtime-link>dynamic <threading>multi <debug-symbols>off" stage
>>

>> I just build the latest CVS HEAD and RC_1_33_0 with these same options
>> (well, only release not debug) and all worked flawlessly modulo the
>> new compiler warnings emitted by VS2005. I think it may be a problem
>> with either your setup or VC++ 2005 Express.
>
> Do you have RTM (build 14.00.50727.42) version of vc8?
>
> Indeed, the problem that none of boost DLLs were built was setup error,
> fixed now. It did not apply to regression tests, anyway (it was only
> problem with my manual build). However, debug build of python DLL was
> still failing.
>
> I verified that this error goes away if additional define
> _CRT_NOFORCE_MANIFEST is passed to compiler. I tweaked vc-8_0-tools.jam
> on my local computer to define this preprocessor symbol (just added line
> "flags vc-8_0 C++FLAGS : -D_CRT_NOFORCE_MANIFEST ;"), however I have no
> idea why there was an error in the first place and if this fix does not
> break anything else. After this (local) fix the only problems building
> boost I have are two compiler errors in boost_signals (see separate
> message).
>
> Anyone knows what _CRT_NOFORCE_MANIFEST means and/or is wiling to apply
> the fix to CVS?

I'm very reluctant to mess with the manifest stuff. I was told
personally by Martyn Lovell of Microsoft that it was necessary and he
helped me to get it right in our Boost.Python build. I don't really
understand the manifest stuff at a deep level, so the fact that you
found -D_CRT_NOFORCE_MANIFEST suppresses the problem you're seeing
doesn't lead me to the conclusion that it's really a "fix."

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting