From: Joaquín Mª López Muñoz (joaquin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-15 03:36:37

Caleb Epstein ha escrito:

> On 11/14/05, Joaquín Mª López Muñoz <joaquin_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> I don't particularly like the name random_access. Do you have an alternative
> > proposal? Ideally, a name should be an adjective (like is already the case
> > for "ordered", "sequenced", etc.) and capture the essential feature of the
> > indices, namely random accessibility.
> >

> What aboust "clustered"? It seems a bit like a clustered index in SQL land,
> which implies a physical ordering to the data. Unless I'm totally off the
> mark.

"Clustered" seems to me a little far-fetched, since it has some
connotations from DB world that do not really apply to random access
indices:

* DB tables usually can't have more than one clustered index. This is not the
case with Boost.MultiIndex random access indices.
* DB clustered indices are key-based, Boost.MultiIndex random access
indices are not. Actually, in DB world "clustered" is an attribute of an index,
much like "unique" is. This does not match well the situation in
Boost.MultiIndex IMHO.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo