From: Darren Cook (darren_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-11-22 02:28:52

>>You might consider adding a switch to the gcc compiler switches used.
>>This is what I did to make it pass the tests without complaint. Offhand
>>I've forgotten the exact switch but I think you'll find it in
>>serialization.jam
>>in libs/serialization/build
>
> -Wno-non-virtual-dtor. But then one loses that warning when it actually
> matters.

Does GCC support a way to switch warnings on and off from within the
code? IIRC Visual C++ has something like that. If so the serialization
headers could just suppress that warning.

> Well, what's a beta period for, if not to shake out things that one
> really doesn't want to release and live with for a while. I guess
> this is really a request to the release manager to consider allowing
> this change to be made for 1.33.1. Rationale: common warning settings
> on very popular tool chain will generate potentially huge numbers of
> spurious warnings for users of the serialization library without this

I agree (I use serialization, gcc, and -Wall). If the previous release
didn't complain then it should be treated as a regression.

Darren