From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2005-12-07 08:49:33

Yuval Ronen wrote:
> Hi.
> I downloaded Boost 1.33.1 and tried to compile it under Visual C++ 2005
> Express Edition, using 'bjam -sTOOLS=vc-8_0 stage'. It seems that
> everything compiled, but with *lots* of warnings. Most of the warnings
> can be devided into 4 categories:
>
> 1. option 'Og' has been deprecated and will be removed in a future release

That one can probably be fixed in the build system.

> 2. You have used a std:: construct that is not safe. See documentation
> on how to use the Safe Standard C++ Library
> 3. The POSIX name for this item is deprecated. Instead, use the ISO C++
> conformant name: ...
> 4. This function or variable may be unsafe. Consider using ... instead.
>
> I'm quite sure that they don't indicate any bug (am I right?), but I
> still don't think they should show up like this and intimidate users...

<sarcasm>
Microsoft has a long tradition of promoting standard conformance as well
as software security. It does its best to educate developers to follow its
lead.
</sarcasm>

Seriously, it appears Microsoft set up a list of standard (ISO C++, POSIX, ...)
functions that they consider unsafe, and they issue warnings whenever one
of them is used. Some workarounds for these were discussed here before, such
as pragma guards to mask the warnings inside boost code. No change has been
committed to that effect so far.

Regards,
                Stefan