From: Jeff Garland (jeff_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-01-31 09:36:04

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 13:40:29 +0100, Sebastian Redl wrote
> Joaquin M Lopez Munoz wrote:
>
> >Current results show that **39%** of respondents still cling
> >to VC6 rather than 7.x or 8.0. Many of them do so out
> >of necessity, because they can't assume porting some project
> >to a newest IDE --and, curiously enough, some like VC6 IDE
> >better !!
> >

> So there are lots of people using VC6 in order to support legacy
> projects. Is there any good reason why these legacy projects need
> support from a new Boost release?
> A lot of arguments here sound as if people are afraid that Boost
> will completely remove everything that ever worked with the old
> compiler. But if 1.34 drops support for compilers, there is no doubt
> that 1.33 will still be available for download.

Yes -- past releases remain available for download. We might need to draft
some language on the web-site somewhere to point users of old compilers to a
particular release.

> Those that simply like VC6 better I have no pity for. I have been
> using 6, 7 and 7.1 and I definitely see no significant advantages to
> the old IDE - rather the other way round. IntelliSense in VC6 was
> horribly broken, for example. That's not to mention the compiler itself.

For me it comes down to this. Boost is a project about the future of C++, not
the past. If we don't spend our energy working on the future then, well, it
will be like the past. We need to spend more time and energy focusing on the
future now...

Jeff