From: Jim Douglas (jim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-06 14:46:29

David Abrahams wrote:
> It looks like QCC got added to the regression system and now I am
> getting huge regression reports with the Python library failing every
> test.
>
> I'm going to ramble here, because I don't really know what or who to
> lash out at ;).

Guilty as charged...

So apologies in advance if it seems like I'm firing
> indiscriminately. I hope we can ultimately make things better.

The buckshot approach often works :-)

> With all due gratitude to Doug for setting it up, I have a hard time
> not concluding that there's something wrong with the regression nanny
> system. The psychological impact seems misdirected. I think the goal
> is that a sudden crop of failures showing up in my mailbox should be
> seen as a problem I need to address.

And they also show up in the NG which I find useful. And anyway, as I am
the QNX platform maintainer, an e-mail to me would soon elicit an
explanation.

> Too often, though, there's
> nothing I can do about such failures and they get ignored. In this
> case, it's just really annoying. These aren't regressions because
> Boost.Python never worked with QNX in the past. Why am I getting
> these reports?

I added QNX6 to the "required" list a few days ago and I am now slowly
working trough the test failures. We have a solution for Boost.Python,
but just haven't implemented it as yet. I was hoping for time to achieve
  something optimal, but the rush towards 1.34 means that it will be
more of a kludge. I promise it will get done early next week.

If you check back I think you should find a gradual improvement for qcc.

> Shouldn't whoever enabled these tests have done something to ensure
> that they wouldn't cause this to happen to "innocent" developers?

Blame the new kid on the block then :-)

Jim