From: Yuval Ronen (ronen_yuval_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-02-26 11:51:59

Martin Adrian wrote:
>> cout << time_format("HH:MM:SS") << my_ptime << endl;
>

> Do you want the modifiers to replace the functionality in the facets or work
> together?

I'm not sure. It's possible that the format manipulators will come in
addition to the format in the facet, or in place of it (the facet will
no longer contain a format string). I can't say that I have a strong
opinion on this matter. I'm really not an I/O expert. Of course if the
chosen way is to have both, then the manipulator format overrides the
facet format.

> If they replace the facet, how do specify the format if you don't have access
> to the stream as in lexical_cast, program options etc.

It's doesn't matter. When you don't have access to the stream (as in
lexical_cast, don't know about program_options), you can apply neither a
facet, nor a manipulator, so there is no difference.