From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-04-14 05:13:44

> This thread from Feb 2004 may be helpful:
> http://lists.apple.com/archives/Darwin-development/2004/Feb/
> msg00146.html
> "Darwin's pthreads implementation does not support the optional "Thread
> Process-Shared Synchronization" functionality, so calling
> pthread_mutexattr_setpshared() with the PTHREAD_PROCESS_SHARED
> attribute will return EINVAL."
>
> Darwin is the BSD-ish underbelly of Mac OS X, so it's not glibc but
> Apple supplied. I'm using Mac OS X version 10.4.5, so this is the
> most up to date darwin.

That's bad news, since all Shmem/Interprocess POSIX synchronization is
based on that. In windows I try to emulate it with spins and waits but
that's really a pain because you don't get mutex benefits like priority
inversion.

I'm afraid you won't be able to use it until I implement those missing
functions for POSIX systems using the same rude mechanism. But I don't
know how much time I need to do that, since those atomic functions would
be compiler/platform dependent. Maybe some Boost libraries (like
smart_ptr) provide some portable atomic operations. I'm afraid I won't
have time soon to do this, since my priority is to write the fist
Interprocess version, but I will try to look at this.

Regards,

Ion