From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-25 14:49:56

David Abrahams wrote:

> Yeah, it looks like vc-7.0 is still eliminating some of the startup
> code. My biggest problem is that I don't understand what you're
> registering and where, and I can't understand the error messages I
> see. So for example, when I get an "unregistered class" exception,
> what does that mean? It isn't at all obvious what constitutes
> registration of a class.

Basically it means that it an attempt to retrieve an instance
from the global table of extended_type_info entries was
not successful. The main function of export.hpp is
to be sure that all that there is an extended_type_info entry
for each exported type. This could fail due to
compiler bug, bug in export.hpp or the user
might have failed to use BOOST_EXPORT for that
type.

>>> I was able to clean up a *lot* of messy code.
>>
>>> Would you like me to:
>>>
>>> 0. Check my code in on the trunk
>>
>> Without having looked at anything, I'm assuming that export.hpp
>> has been pretty much replaced and I would be fine with
>> seeing it just checked into the trunk.
>>
>> I wasn't aware that there
>> was a *lot* of messy code (except perhaps workarounds
>> for compiler quirks).
>
> Yes, a great deal of the mess was workarounds (sometimes workarounds
> that were not effective), but lots was just functionality implemented
> in ways that were needlessly convoluted.
>
>> Maybe we have a different criteria
>> for "messy". If this confined to a few modules, maybe the
>> most practical would be to email them to me so I might
>> have a look at them. If its a lot of modules, I would like
>> to consider it some more. Note that the trunk is undergoing
>> some flux as the adjustments to array serialization are
>> being integrated - this might affect the course of action
>> here.
>
> The large changes are confined to a few modules. There are lots of
> smaller changes.
>
> Just tell me what you want me to do.

might as well just check 'em in to the trunk

Robert Ramey