From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-25 17:58:32

"Robert Ramey" <ramey_at_[hidden]> writes:

> David Abrahams wrote:
>
>> Yeah, it looks like vc-7.0 is still eliminating some of the startup
>> code. My biggest problem is that I don't understand what you're
>> registering and where, and I can't understand the error messages I
>> see. So for example, when I get an "unregistered class" exception,
>> what does that mean? It isn't at all obvious what constitutes
>> registration of a class.
>
> Basically it means that it an attempt to retrieve an instance
> from the global table of extended_type_info entries was
> not successful. The main function of export.hpp is
> to be sure that all that there is an extended_type_info entry
> for each exported type. This could fail due to
> compiler bug, bug in export.hpp or the user
> might have failed to use BOOST_EXPORT for that
> type.

Yes, I understand it in abstract terms. What I can't tell, when I get
one of those exceptions, is what I have to make happen. What function
should have been called (or object constructed), and with what
arguments?

This gives me a hint, for a different exception, that void_cast_register
should have been called (although it still leaves out lots of info,
like the identities of the base and derived classes).

        unregistered_cast // base - derived relationship not registered with
                            // void_cast_register

I really need the same kind of information about unregistered_class.

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting