From: Peter Soetens (peter.soetens_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-05-26 10:21:52

Quoting Stefan Seefeld <seefeld_at_[hidden]>:

> Peter Soetens wrote:
>> My favourite is the 'Modular C++' project, inspired on
>> <http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2006/n1964.pdf>
>
> That confuses me. The paper seems to be talking about modifying the
> C++ language. The title of the project, however, is "Modular C++
> preprocessor",
> which is
>
> * talking about a C++ preprocessor, not a C++ parser.
> * seems to imply that it's the preprocessor that is modular, not the thing
> it (pre)processes. (And, how does it related to boost.wave ?)
>
> So what's the deal ?

You should read it as (Modular C++) preprocessor. C++ module files must
be 'preprocessed' such that they are converted to C++ header files and
C++ implementation files, which are fed to your compiler. Also, a
'module header' file is generated which can be used by other modules to
learn about the public contents of a module. It relates to boost.spirit
(not boost.wave) which is a parser framework, which will be used to
read the module files.

Peter