From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-08 07:07:53

It all goes back to 8 hole paper tape - where one hole was misguidedly
reserved for parity.

One of the Great Computing Disasters :-((

(Thankfully, magnetic 1/2 inch tape was made 9 track, or we would have 7
bits per byte).

Paul

---
Paul A Bristow
+44 1539561830 & SMS, Mobile +44 7714 330204 & SMS
pbristow_at_[hidden]