From: Martin Bonner (martin.bonner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-09 04:04:10

----Original Message----
From: boost-bounces_at_[hidden]
[mailto:boost-bounces_at_[hidden]] On Behalf Of Beman Dawes Sent:
08 June 2006 17:51 To: boost_at_[hidden]
Subject: Re: [boost] [endian] Refresh based on comments received

> Gennaro Prota wrote:
>
>> * there is no guarantee that an unsigned char has 8 bits...
>
> The C and C++ standards specify char, signed char, and unsigned char
> all have exactly 8 bits, AFAIK.

No. They all have AT LEAST 8 bits, but there are certainly C
implementations with 9-bit char and 32-bit char. I don't know if any of
these have C++ compilers (but the standard certainly permits it). (You
might of course decide to explicitly limit your library to 8-bit char
platforms only.)

--
Martin Bonner
Martin.Bonner_at_[hidden]