From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-13 23:37:20

"Andy Little" <andy_at_[hidden]> writes:

>>> This has been made very clear and Andy has graciously accepted
>>> the suggested documentation changes.
>>
>> Andy has indeed graciously accepted criticism of the documentation,
>> for which I commend him.
>
> Your criticism mainly concerned the C++ Concepts section of the
> documentation for PQS. What might help is some examples of what you
> consider good C++ Concept documentation.

The C++ standard does a pretty decent job. There's also the SGI STL
website. There's also the Boost Graph library. The "new iterator
concepts" document in the iterator library docs does pretty well. And
you can always start at
http://www.boost.org/more/generic_programming.html#concept.

>> What's missing for me is a clear intention to actively pursue better
>> docs himself, as opposed to being willing to accept specific edits
>> that other people happen to suggest. If we leave the quality of our
>> documentation (or code, for that matter) up to people who rewrite it
>> for us, we won't have much quality at all.
>
> I havent asked and don't expect anyone else to write the PQS
> documentation for me FWIW.

I didn't think you had, but I was trying to make it clear in general
that graciously accepting criticism isn't enough.

> I have stated that a truly generic quantities library ( encompassing
> all unit systems) is beyond my skill and knowledge and that someone
> else would need to write that if that is the requirement for a Boost
> Quantities library.

Let me be very clear: my complaint was not with the level of
generality of the library, if that's what you mean by "truly generic;"
it was with the quality of the specification.

> I would be happy to do what I could to help in the SI area though,
> in that case.
>
>> IMO the library author
>> has to be willing to take responsibility for making the docs work; any
>> help from the outside is a bonus.
>
> I agree with that !
>
> FWIW Here are some rough notes to self regarding the PQS documentation
>
> *Non C++ concepts (definition of terms).*
> Remove C++ specific and especially PQS library implementation details from here.
> Move this section to the back of the docs.
>
> *C++ Concepts*
> Some entities are metafunctions hiding as Concepts. Look at other C++ concept
> documentation and see how it works. Link to headers.

Good. Let me stress again that you shouldn't underestimate the value
of writing concept checking classes and archetypes for your library
(see Boost.ConceptCheck). Those will lead almost directly to coherent
concept documentation.