From: Markus Schöpflin (markus.schoepflin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-06-27 03:12:27

Martin Wille wrote:
> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> Recently I've been getting anti-spam challenge-response emails from some
>> subcribers on the Boost list. Personally I find such emails on a public
>> list rude. Do people expect everyone on the list to register onto their
>> respective anti-spam filters? I for one won't. It just means that person
>> will never get many of the communications going on in the list. Since
>> I'm now filtering email through Google, most likely I'll just mark such
>> emails as SPAM and eventually the persons will never see Boost email
>> again. But that sounds rude on my part.
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>
> I think your approach is fair.
>
> It's the subscriber's responsibility not to bother the mailing list with
> anti-spam challenges or vacation notices.
>
> I suggest we add that to the discussion policy document. Perhaps, we
> should also add it to the welcome-to-the-list message.

Agreed, but...

> Yes, I do realize that this might cause some extra hassle for the
> subscriber because the subscriber might have to sort these issues out
> with his IT admin. However, it's the subscriber's IT administrator who
> caused the problem in the first place.

Many people won't be able to do anything about this, it's a decision of
their company, or university, or whatever. It's the same as with those
ridiculous legal threats in the signature.

> I also suggest subscribers who repeatedly violate that part of the
> policy get unsubscribed.

This would mean that subscribers would get banned without being able to
somehow change the situation. Granted, they could use a private mail
account or something similar, but this could not be possible as well.

I think just ignoring those mails is good enough.

Markus