From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-07-02 14:59:59

Jeff Garland wrote:

>> md5 and SHA code
>> <http://opensource.adobe.com/classadobe_1_1md5__t.html>
>> <http://opensource.adobe.com/group__adobe__sha.html>
>> Review and a short tutorial
>
> I wonder if these would be logical additions to boost.hash which is new in 1.34?

Not really, it's only concerned with providing an implementation
std::tr1::hash - ie. for TR1 style unordered associative containers.
Which is why it's officially called 'Boost.Functional/Hash', although I
know that name's unpopular - 'TR1 Hash' might be better.

MD5 and SHA aren't at all appropriate for that, are used in a very
different manner and produce much larger hash values - so it doesn't
even make sense to provide a common interface.

Boost also has a CRC library, but again, that's intended for another use
altogether.

I suppose the different libraries could be loosely grouped together
under a Boost.Hash moniker, but for organisation purposes more than
anything.

Daniel