From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-08-17 08:11:24

Hubert Holin wrote:
> In theory, the DLMF project should come to fruition this year
> (http://dlmf.nist.gov/about/), which can only help both in terms
> of techniques to use and, one can dream, in interest in the subject.

I think everyone has been waiting for that to come to completion for so
long, it's hard to know whether there has been any progress or not (the web
pages don't appear to have changed for years, based on a casual glance).

> As far as the TR1 stands, I still feel the lack of genericity
> enshrined by
> the C-style naming conventions of the special functions is a glaring
> error. Still, having no standard support for usefull functions is
> worse than bad support (that could be built upon), IMHO.

If you have any comment on the interfaces we're working on here
http://www.johnmaddock.co.uk/toolkit then feedback would be most welcome.

> So, whatever you can contribute will be most welcome. I should point
> out that some requests have been made to have interval computations
> (as opposed to
> only pointwise computations), which AFAIK have still gone completely
> unanswered, but which do have practical applications; perhaps this
> would be a good place
> to contribute (among so many...).

Paul Bristow has been pushing me towards Boost.Interval support as well.
It's really a question of time etc (as always).

Thanks for the comments, John.