From: Mateusz Loskot (mateusz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-09-22 07:08:05

Maciej Sobczak wrote:
> Mateusz Loskot wrote:
>
>> And I won't break Boost license and, ideally, any patents too.
>
> It's just your hope.

Maciej,

Absolutely right. I'm a kind of inveterate optimist, here :-)

> It's estimated that this year over 40000 patents in the software domain
> will be issued in total (in USA). Forty thousands - just in case you
> doubt all these zeros. All this in one year. Plus all those that were
> already issued previously.
> (Surely, some of them are duplicates or at least largely overlapping,
> but who cares.)

Definitely, you've touched a very important issue but I don't think
there is any resolution at the moment.
I mean, the only I can see is to stop programming :-)

> I bet that you are breaking some number of these patents anyway, no
> matter what you do. In fact, it would be interesting to know how many
> patents you are breaking on average per each 1kLOC of code that you
> think you created. :-)

Exactly. I think Seweryn from pl.comp.lang.c could be interested in
developing some statistics about it ;-)

In the meantime, I'm going to consider Boost as free of patented
garbage ;-)

Cheers

--
Mateusz Loskot