From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-09 04:56:02

Janek Kozicki wrote:
> uhh... so maybe rename component "Mathematical Special Functions" into
> "Statistical Special Functions" ?
>
> I think it was natural for me to search for my favorites inside a
> component named like that...

Fair comment, however there's a fairly well defined set of special functions
listed in A&S, most of which are hoisted into TR1 that (IMO) should be
implemented before domain specific functions like these. There's also the
problem that since I'm not familiar with the domain, I have no way of
judging what constitutes a "good" implementation: what potential users would
be looking for in other words.

Not that this stops you from providing a submission of those of course :-)

One of things I'd like to try and do is encourage others to get involved in
writing more special functions. Now that the toolkit has support for
rational-approximations (Remez) I'm hoping the bar might be a little
lower... or maybe not, as Remez is so notoriously flakey to use :-(

John.