From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2006-10-11 02:54:11

Edward Diener skrev:
> Arkadiy Vertleyb wrote:
>
> While Microsoft can be commended for raising the level of their compiler
> in VC7.1 and VC8, the truth is that where it matters commercially almost
> no new future work is being done in C++ and .Net, and this is directly
> the "fault" of Microsoft.

Or their hopefully failing purpose. I think the game here is as follows:

1. a lot of C++ code is out there
2. we want those projects tied up in, and eventually converted to our
proprietary platform called .NET.
3. to convert those projects to .NET we need C++.net (i.e. managed C++)
so they can be tempted to move in our direction
4. we create a set of C++ bindings to .NET (vs 2003)
5. oops, it failed --- almost nobody moved since it looked ugly
6. make a new one that looks better, is even less C++ compliant (who
cares, we sure don't) , but it _must_ look better (vs 2005)
7. but what about those that actually used vs2003 - what about them;
they can port, doesn't cost us anything, and they are few and already
tied up (remember OWL folks)
8. vision - C++.NET road map ends when we don't think we can move more
projects

For those who has moved, let us hope I am wrong.
Bottom line: MS efforts to support C++ on the .NET platform is not
designed to benefit the C++ community. It is designed to be a vampire,
hopefully it stays small as a mosquito.

---
Bjørn Roald