From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-12 00:08:16

Braden,

Braden McDaniel wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:58:46 -0800, Thomas Witt wrote:
>
> I see you're using Thunderbird. You can configure it to thread properly by
> setting these options in user.js:
>
> user_pref("mail.thread_without_re", false);
> user_pref("mail.strict_threading", true);
>
> You will need to delete your *.msf files so that Thunderbird can
> regenerate them.

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that.

> The unfortunate fact of the matter is that, by and large, this behavior is
> deliberate. Apparently the perception on the part of the developers of
> mail clients that group unrelated messages with matching subjects is that
> their users demand this functionality.
>
> The solution, then, is for users who find this functionality objectionable
> either to change it or to use a different mail reader that functions as
> desired. The solution is not for persons to start adding arbitrary noise
> to the subjects of their e-mail.

Frankly, you are missing the point. These messages are important (at
least I think so). I don't want them to be lost in a random thread. I.e.
I want a subject line that avoids threading whatever client or default
configuration is used. More important I want it now and I don't want to
educate otherwise busy people about their client/configuration choice to
get there.

That being said I do agree in general and I never intended to set a
general policy for messages other than regression notifications.

Regards

Thomas

--
Thomas Witt