From: Noah Roberts (roberts.noah_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-27 11:16:33

Matthias Schabel wrote:
>> hmmm...decided to try and test this guy out and based on the docs I
>> would think the following code would compile, but it doesn't in VC++
>> 8.0...g++ gobbles it up ok though.
>
> A better fix is to replace the code between the #ifdef
> MCS_HAS_TYPEOF ... #endif // MCS_HAS_TYPEOF with the following:

Ok, I probably won't get to do this until Friday again...that's the day
I get to work on personal things at work for a few hours...I don't have VC.

I was profiling my own version and it was dog slow compared to doubles.
 I wanted to check yours. I did here at home with g++ on Linux and our
two versions compare equally wrt the static dim quantity. I had to
really vamp up the optimizations of course to get them as fast as
doubles (I couldn't find the right options for VC) and I still can't do
as deep a recursion level without a seg fault...this is actually by
quite a margin...several orders of magnitude. Both versions fail at the
same point. Here is test code...add a 0 to the end of tlim and I get a
crash on the quantity version:

#include <boost/units/io.hpp>
#include <boost/units/systems/si_units.hpp>

int const tlim = 50000;

double f_dbl(double x, double y, double z, int count)
{
  static double const C = 3.14;

  if (!count) return 0;

  return ((x + y) * z * C) + f_dbl(x, y, z, count - 1);
}

using namespace boost::units;
using namespace boost::units::SI;

quantity<length> z, int count)
{
  static quantity<length> const C = 3.14 * meters;

  if (!count) return 0 * cubic_meters;

  return ((x + y) * z * C) + f_qty(x, y, z, count - 1);
}

#include <iostream>
int main()
{
  std::cout << f_dbl(1,2,3,tlim) << std::endl;
  std::cout << f_qty(1 * meters, 2 * meters, 3 * meters, tlim) << std::endl;
}

COMMAND LINE:

nroberts_at_localhost ~/projects/prof_units $ g++ -I/home/nroberts/units
-pg -O3 prof_mcs.cpp

This is likely implementation dependant and maybe there's still more ops.