From: AlisdairM (alisdair.meredith_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-28 07:23:02

Roland Schwarz wrote:

> So my vote is for flagging serialization as
> "n/a The library author marked it as unusable on this particular
> platform/toolset."
> for msvc-6.5 and borland-5.8.2

I have two concern here, given that serialization is supported for
1.33.1.

THis is earmarked as the last officially support Boost release for
MSVC6 (and BCB6 for that matter, once MetaComm tests return) It would
be a shame if all that effort was wasted, as dropping a major library
like serialization at the last minute might kill the adoption rate.

This is a much bigger problem for Borland 5.8.2 users though, as Boost
1.33.1 does not support that compiler. I am desperate to see a new
Boost release, just to be using a stable release package rather than my
'home-hack' from April. But I know lack of serialization would be a
major issue for Borland customers.

Given this seemed to be working a couple of weeks ago, and Nicola is on
the case for updating the build instructions, I would like to see him
given the time to do that. After waiting almost 14 months already, I
would really like the end result to pay off.

A scary option would be to mark them n/a to hasten release, and plan a
short-cycle 1.34.1 once the updated Spirit support is in. My concern
with this plan is that everyone will lose interest once 1.34 ships, and
without testing 1.34.1 will never happen.

> The last word of course is up to Thomas Witt.

Absolutely.

--
AlisdairM