From: Thomas Witt (witt_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-01-31 11:36:10

AlisdairM wrote:
> Roland Schwarz wrote:
>
>> So my vote is for flagging serialization as
>> "n/a The library author marked it as unusable on this particular
>> platform/toolset."
>> for msvc-6.5 and borland-5.8.2
>
> I have two concern here, given that serialization is supported for
> 1.33.1.
>
> Given this seemed to be working a couple of weeks ago, and Nicola is on

I think the key issue here is "seemed".

> the case for updating the build instructions, I would like to see him
> given the time to do that. After waiting almost 14 months already, I
> would really like the end result to pay off.
>
> A scary option would be to mark them n/a to hasten release, and plan a
> short-cycle 1.34.1 once the updated Spirit support is in. My concern
> with this plan is that everyone will lose interest once 1.34 ships, and
> without testing 1.34.1 will never happen.

I understand your concerns, but at this stage I think we have to focus
on getting it out the door. A slightly more optimistic way to look at
it: If there is enough user interest there will be support for 1.34.1.

>> The last word of course is up to Thomas Witt.

I am with Roland on this one. That being said I don't want to discourage
people working on this. As long as it does not take time from 1.34.0
it's still worthwile I think.

Thomas

--
Thomas Witt