From: Kasun Rodrigo (kasun.cse_at_[hidden])
Date: 2007-03-22 07:47:10

Hello,

I am a level 4 undergraduate of University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, following
a Computer Science & Engineering Major. I'm very much interested in the
above project idea. I have already developed a 2D and 3D graph plotting
application in Visual Basic. I was dreaming of developing a graph plotting
library in C++ that has the similar plotting features like famous
application called MATLAB.

* 2D plots
* 3D plots (Mesh & Surface)
* Pie charts, Bar Charts, etc..
* Axis labels, Scale, Grid, Legend
* Multiple Graphs on the same figure. (Subplots)

I would like to develop the solution in the following way.

   - Generic SVG library that exposes the primitive operations on SVG DOM
   - Graph plotting library
      - Generic plotting interface that exposes high level plotting
      operations to plot graphs from functions & C++ containers
      - A specific plotting implementation derived from generic one
      that uses the SVG library to carry out plotting operations.

By doing it in above way I wish to improve the re-usability and
theflexibilityof the code.

   1. We can re-use the generic SVG library
   2. Someone can derive different plotting libraries from generic one
   and use without changing the client code. (Eg:- Plot to screen, Plot to a
   document etc..)

Can you please comment on above ideas. I'm looking forward for your kind
comments.

Thanks
Kasun